Thursday, July 30, 2009

Summer Daze

We have had record heat for a week now. Kept the a/c on overnight a couple of times---something we don't do often, because usually it cools by 40 degrees or so.
Anyway, the heat sort of prevents a whole lot of activity. However, we do keep moving and have plans.

I have had the opportunity to engage in Spanish conversation with my friend Sherry. I hope our schedules will allow this regularly. I get so excited when I'm in the midst of it. Realizing I DO understand, and I AM understood is so awesome!! I get teary eyed with gratitude and do not want to lose what I have gained. Sherry is teaching basic Spanish to a small group from our church that will be going to Honduras (Mission Trip) this fall---I'll be attending the class tonight just for the exposure to Spanish. Keeping my ears tuned.

Daniel is working hard at Shelter One (Jim and Donna's business) coming home hot, dirty, and tired. Dinner, shower, a bit o' time online, and bed is about all you can expect from him Mon - Thur. Crystal & I joined forces last Friday, to help Daniel with the shopping for George Fox. He moves into the dorm August 27th. Our list is covered in checkmarks---we're nearly ready. He even found jeans that fit (31/34)--3 pairs!! None of us really enjoy shopping, so to get so much accomplished in one day was a blessing and miracle! He saw the dentist yesterday (2 cavities---need to floss!) Has an eye appointment in 2 weeks, and will make a trip to the Health Dept for a meningitus shot---maybe swine flu too---I'm trying to decide. I'm hoping to do a drawer by drawer, shelf by shelf, clean and purge in his room---that won't happen for a few more weeks.

Crystal has been relaxing at home. The change from Roma to Medford has been greater than anticipated, but she is doing well. We love having her laughter in the house. She found a women's soccer team to play on---scored the winning goal last week!!--
She is making a quilt out of old jeans and cords for Daniel to take to college. This is a tradition. My niece Karrie, made the first one. Then Crystal made one for herself and later for Jon when he was leaving for OIT. Daniel's is mostly denim blues with some hunter green, brown and tan corduroy added in for color and interest. It will be very handsome. She did find and buy a cute little car last week---a Hyundai Accent. Just what she was looking for and the right price. She will probably head to Portland around the 12th to job search in person. Please keep this in your prayers.

Doug has built a patio out of pavers in the side yard--just outside the Master Bedroom. We acquired a hot tub last spring, so now it is in a proper setting. This is one if the projects to finish before we put this house up for sale. (We've purchased a smaller house in Jacksonville with the plan to downsize and simplify---it's being rented right now) The patio is a very nice addition, the pavers compliment the rock garden wall well. That's alot of rocks to carry up our sloped walkway---the 109 heat didn't help--except, his back hasn't bothered him---hmmmm! He has earned a relaxing weekend away!!
Providentially, my first cousin's (my mother's niece) daughter is getting married at the McMenimins Edgefield in Troutdale this weekend. The wedding has become the venue for what has been dubbed the "Cousin Fest". Many of our first cousins from the mid-west are coming out West. All my siblings and their spouses are going. Crystal will share a room with my sister Karen. (Daniel will be hanging out with my Brother Lee's kiddos--his close in age cousins). We all have the Eurpeon style (bathroom down the hall) rooms. Normally I wouldn't choose this arrangement, but the rooms are sold out. I think it will be fun to run into cousins in the hall at night. From the hotel website, it looks like there'll be a celebration of Jerry Garcia's birthday this weekend as well---tie dye is in order---I don't think we'll go there.

The next weekend, we plan to camp at beloved Union Creek Campground. We're hoping Doug's brother Phil and family will join us. After that Crystal and Daniel will be moving on to other people, places, and things. Doug and I will try to do a bit of that too!
The day we take Daniel to GFU, Doug and I are boarding a plane for Oahu. He had some "use 'em or lose 'em" airmiles we cashed in for 2 tickets and a rental car. Our good friends Bob and Cindy Sharp now live there and have invited us to stay with them---too good to turn down.

In the meantime, I will turn fresh applications into the 3 nearby school districts with a resume showcasing my recent attendance at Language School---and the SIOP training I attended last summer. This is a tough year, but, jobs only come to those who throw their hats into the ring. If nothing comes from that, I will sub as before. Which I do love anyway.

Before we know it, the days will shorten and mornings will be crisp and cold with leaves starting to color. It is a wonder how quickly change happens. I am trying to practice the discipline of Thanksgiving each day.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad Daniel can visit Trevor & Diana, & especially see Trevor in the show. Diana hadn't had a chance to go yet with the Ford conference last weekend, and she wouldn't have been able to go this weekend since she'll be on Connor-duty. So we're happy that worked out well :)

    Looking forward to the weekend! Let's see how many other cousins we can get on facebook :P

    ReplyDelete