Thursday, June 25, 2009

Getting to School

This is the 2nd day I got myself to school. My bus stop is right around the corner from the house. I´m on Calle 11 Sur, which is a busy one, several lanes of one way traffic, going very fast.
I stand on the curb, squint to try and figure which of the many buses is mine, so that I can flag it down. The bus pulls closer, comes to a "rolling stop" and starts up again as soon as I step in. You have to grab and bar and hold on, because the bus immediately turns a corner. After that you can pay the man 5 pesos (1/2 cent)---and THEN I look to see if there is somewhere to sit, negotiate my backpack so I don´t smack anyone, and sit.

The bus travels down Calle 9 Sur, I go from Calle 43, to Calle 11. This side is the odd number streets so it is roughly 16 blocks to ride. At Calle 13 I stand to indicate I´ll be getting off. Mention to the driver "por Calle once (11)" He stops, but just barely. I call out "gracias" and begin my walk. I walk east on Calle 11 from 9 Sur past Calle 16 de Septiembre (Independance Day) Calle 16 de Septiembre is the divider between east and west. Calle 5 de Mayo is the divider between north and south. The institute is #10 on the east side.

This is the historic district, so no signs are allowed on the buildings. #10 is the only distinguishing mark on the Institute door--other than a small plaque around the doorbell.

Usually noone speaks on the bus. Many seem sleepy, young people have their earbuds in---listening to music. On my walk after exiting the bus, I walk the narrow sidewalk. People are beginning their workday, unlocking shops and sweeping the sidewalk. There is virtually no trash around, and though the streets and sidewalks are in disrepair, they are pretty clean. Trash, bottles and cans hang in plastic shopping bags from the trees. Someone takes those away each day. The closer you get to the center of town and the Zocolo, the more colorful the buildings are.

This morning I was stopped by an older gentleman waiting outside his workplace very near the Insitute. He spoke to me in English, told me he had worked in Arizona for 14 years, and liked to practice speaking English, he asked why I wanted to speak Spanish, was satisfied when I told him I teach children to read and many of my students are Latinos. He offered his assistance for anything, and we shook hands. His name is Julio Sanchez---it will be interesting if I see him on other mornings also.

I have yet to go home by myself. Yesterday we went on a field trip to Cholula and returned late. I joined the other students for a beer and merienda (evening snack) and we were treated to a fierce thunderstorm. 3 of us shared a taxi home, so today, I´ll see how I do on the way home. It is a different route/bus because of the one way streets. Time for class

3 comments:

  1. Nicely done posting. I'm not sure if you are able to upload pictures, that would be a nice addition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are getting to know other students outside of class. Are the other students mostly Americans?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, mostly Norte Americanos, one in my class from Samoa. There is an older french man in the advanced class---but those are the only "foreigners"

    *I miscalculated, the bus is 50 cents, still cheap.

    ReplyDelete