Saturday, May 8, 2010

Mother's Day

I'm thinking about Mother's Day with a somewhat heavy heart. My own mom no longer can recognize her family, and my own kids are living far away.
** However I perk up when I think of the many, many moms that have enriched my life and helped me to be successful as a mother:
of course Rita, my own mom--who taught me that mothering was a noble endeavor;
my very loving and wise grandmothers and aunts, my husband's dear mom.
--my sisters; Donna, Karen, Nancy, Tina, GayEllen; each a mother to admire;
my many, many girlfriends who have shared the journey and seasons of mothering with me, as we each faced the joys, challenges, frustrations and sorrows in concert---so many times I found renewed strength, insight and encouragement by my relationships with these girlfriends---I highly recommend that women nurture these types of friendships and bonds---they are life-saving.

And now I am watching the next generation, daughters of my friends, my own younger friends and my nieces; Marla, Karrie and Christen as they each take seriously the task at hand with great love and devotion.
I love and admire you each. The thought of these remarkable and awesome women makes Mother's Day a celebration indeed!! May the Lord bless you all as you continue the Journey of Honor that being a mother is.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Myrna - I hope you have a wonderful day!

    Just a little tidbit - the last couple of weeks in my classroom we spent figuring out and having the kids make gifts for their moms. There were clay-fired handprints, window clings, handmade cards and a photo in a puzzle-collage frame.

    When it came time to take the wrapped gifts home, one student refused. We tried to explain it was for her mom for Mother's Day.

    Her response was, "She doesn't need anything. She has me. I'M her gift - she said so!"

    (the next day we hid the gift bag in her backpack and sent her home without telling her).

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Myrna, YOU have enriched so many lives, including mine. Thank you, girlfriend. It's good to focus on the positive, that is what I have to do, too.

    We are blessed! Love you very much!

    ReplyDelete